Saturday, September 28, 2013

Rick Owens RTW Spring 2014

Hello All,

I know I am a couple of days late posting this, but I have been so busy.  If you all follow fashion, like I do, you will know that Paris Fashion Week (PFW) is going on.  One collection I was excited to read about is Rick Owens RTW Spring 2014 collection.  I have always been a fan of Rick Owens and his designs.  He has impeccable skills when it comes to design and construction, but this Spring collection that he showed for PFW had me taken by surprise when I read about it on Women's Wear Daily (WWD).

Owen's signature color for all of his collections is black, but what excited me about this collection was that instead of using models, he used women from four American college step teams, the Zetas, Momentums, Soul Steppers, and Washington Divas to step down the runway in his collection!  Each young lady look like warriors in Owen's garments, each stepping and dancing, and also purposely making angry faces.










Being a member of an African-American sorority, I am very familiar with the step teams.  According to Owens, "step teams are an American phenomenon!" Step teams are a huge deal in America, especially in the South.  It is tradition for schools, colleges, and churches to have a step team.  What I really love about this show is that he put real women in his collection.  None of the women look like a size 0-2, they are all healthy, beautiful women.

If you would like to read more about this collection, it can be found on Women's Wear Daily.  Here is the link: http://www.wwd.com/runway/spring-ready-to-wear-2014/review/rick-owens

Until Next Time!

No comments:

Post a Comment